After watching Madonna’s long-awaited Superbowl performance, I realized that she is pretty much a mystery to me even though I can recite the lyrics to about 90% of her songs. She is one of America’s greatest musical icons and has transcended time with her ever-evolving image, and yet, no one really knows who is behind those incredible biceps, bleached blonde hair, and gap tooth. With that said, I thought it would be a fun exercise to see what I could dig up on the musical legend. The following are some findings:
- Her full name is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone.
- She is the oldest of 8 children.
- Her mother died of breast cancer in 1963.
- Madonna is Italian and was raised Roman Catholic.
- Madonna married actor Sean Penn on her birthday in 1985. She divorced him on New Year’s Eve in 1988.
- Madonna won a Golden Globe for Best Actress for her role of Eva Peron in Evita.
- Madonna is ranked fourth in the list of best-selling artists of all time, right after Michael Jackson.
- She has been nominated 68 times for an MTV Video Music Award and 28 times for a Grammy Award.
- Madonna does NOT have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was nominated for one, but turned it down.
- Madonna has been in 22 films.